Every week we have been having a fun “10 questions” session with some of our contributors to the Indie Craft Sampler. Some serious, but mostly fun questions. Our fourth installment is with Ashley from Bonnie and Twill (to read our other 10 question interviews click here).
2. Is there a story behind the name “Bonnie and Twill”? The name comes from two characters in The Hunger Games book “Catching Fire”. They are minor characters in the book and nonexistant in the movie, but I liked the names and because twill is a type of fabric, I thought it fit well.
4. How/where do you get ideas for new shop items? It usually starts off with someone I know asking me to make them something, or I need to make something for myself and I have a go at it. The seemingly random small pet snuggle sacks in my shop came about because of my love of hedgehogs. Owning two myself, they needed some and I gave it a shot and have a lot of custom requests coming through on Instagram. I try to keep my ladyhogs’ account and business account separate but on theirs is where I get approached for requests.
5. Some things that you loved as a child? I used to be obsessed with cows! I still like them and think they’re cute, but I used to go nuts when I’d see a pasture full of them, and living in a largely agricultural county, there’s a lot. Also, of course I loved being with my family, but particularly my sister and cousin. We would be at my grandma’s house for the weekend and end up outside mostly. We used to climb up into her magnolia tree and make up songs and sing them until the sun went down. I also really loved rollie pollies.
7. The song that you play the most? Currently I am obsessed with Andrew McMahon and the Wilderness’ “Cecilia and the Satellite” I’ve been an Andrew fan since his days with Something Corporate and Jack’s Mannequin. It is just such a heartfelt song that is so full of love.
8. A sound that you love? I love the sounds that books make. The cracking of the spine when you open a hardcover. When you thumb the pages of a paperback. Setting a heavy textbook on the desk and opening it sloppily to any page so it stays open, then finding the page you need. I love them all.
10. Why should people visit your shop? You never know what you might find! Haha. But really.
Bonnie and Twill have headwraps that will be included in 75 of the September samplers. If you haven’t purchased a Sampler yet click here.
Also check out Bonnie and Twill for hedgehog snuggle sacks, pouches, skirts, & even a Mario 8 bit quilt. Pretty rad.