Every week we have a fun “10 questions” session with some of our contributors to the Indie Craft Sampler. Some serious, but mostly fun questions. Our fourth and last installment for our October Sampler Contributors is with our super colossal contributor Melanie from Violet’s Buds.
1. You are a superstar when it comes to social media…do you have any tips for getting so many followers/likes?
Currently I’ve found Instagram to be the best place to connect with fans. I started using Iconosquare which helps me track my stats, and gives me info on what and when to post. The instructional post on Daft Crafts helped me to get started: http://www.daftcrafts.net/2014/09/using-iconosquare-to-analyze-your.html
The best thing to do is find a positive community to join. A community will build you up, give you resources, and support fellow makers. The best community I’ve found is Oh My! Handmade Goodness: http://ohmyhandmade.com/
3. How/where do you get ideas for new shop items?
Recently, I’ve become enamored with creating hoop art pieces– which allow me to keep making but broaden my fan base to people that don’t necessarily wear hair accessories.
4. What three items would you take with you on a deserted island?
5. Is there anything you wished would come back into fashion?
My inner teenager would love for flair jeans, flannels, and combat boots to come back in style.
6. Most played song?
Lately, I’ve been listening to a lot of They Might Be Giants with my daughter. My favorite is Man Its So Loud in Here.
7. If you could live in another country for 2 years where would you go?
That’s tough! I think that if I could only choose one, it would be New Zealand.
8. Favorite TV shows when you were a kid?
I loved The Cosby Show, Saved by the Bell, and Garfield and Friends
When I was younger, I wanted the name Autumn.
10. And finally, why should people visit your shop?
If you are looking for unique, eco-friendly, one of a kind hair accessories for all ages, or whimsical home decor pieces, you’ll want to visit my shop!