Every week we like to have a fun “10 questions” session with one of our contributors to the Indie Craft Sampler. Some serious, but mostly fun questions. This week we are talking with the last of our April contributors, Ashley from Rusty Canvas /Clean Machine Body Co.
1. You already have your shop Rusty Canvas, what made you decide to open a body shop?
We had been experimenting with different body products for years and wanted to create a line that would work well and have unique scents that differ from many of the usual, floral type smells….so, we kept at it until we found formulas that we loved.
2. What is the best advice another shop owner has give you?
Because I’m constantly trying different projects and crafts, I can become bogged down by my creative side. Going into business, several people told me that I should find what I like doing, stick with it and not get off track by too many ventures. This has definitely been a struggle for me but I finally feel I have found my niche(s) and want to grow my established brands…..for now. 😉
3. Do you have any advice for others?
Don’t be discouraged if things don’t happen the way you want or in the time you want! I’m naturally impatient so this was hard for me to apply. But the hard work really does pay off after time. Just be persistent!
4. Where do you get inspiration for new items for your shop? What is your favorite item you make?
The vintage book journals that we put together are the most fun for me. The excitement of finding a great book with fun illustrations always makes me anxious to take it home, dissect it, and put it back together for someone to enjoy and bring new life back into.
5. Have you ever read a “for Dummies” book? Which one?
Probably, but I’m thinking they were too embarrassing to list.
6. When you were little, what did you want to be?
My parents are both artists, so I couldn’t really escape it. I knew it would be difficult to make a living but I always knew I needed to create something to feel satisfied. Also, a dinosaur.
7. If you could only 5 possessions, what would they be?
My dog, coffee, the Bible, watercolor paint, more coffee.
8. What kind of music are you into?
Pandora is permanently set to Indie in my work space.
9. What are your biggest pet peeves?
I definitely don’t like when my work space is disorganized! So hard to focus! Also when I don’t have enough time to finish a project I go a little nuts.
10. And finally, why should people visit your shop?